Thursday, August 9, 2012

Chat from 8/22: "Innovative PD Strategies for District/School Technology Training"

This is a summary from the August 22nd #NCADMIN chat:
(Note: Not every tweet from the chat is included)


 Our chat tonight is on Innovative PD strategies for District/School tech training!

 Q1: How do you determine what [tech] needs/trainings your school/district needs to focus on?


 I meet individually with principals to learn vision, culture, and need.

A1: After spending 1 full year observing teachers (new school last year), was able to discuss tech goals individually w/ teachers

Not in content but delivery RT  have you found a huge difference between the three levels, K-5, 6-8, 9-12?


 I think once they truly kow our vision the teachers move forward more quickly 

PLCs have been very helpful at K-5 and 6-8 levels for method of tech pd. 

 That is an interesting point about the vision of the school contributing to the PD needs

 We have to show tech as a tool for instruction. Not instruct on how to use tech for tech sake.

I try to include basic tech strategies during presentations, such as Poll Everywhere during last years' Gang Awareness training.

  we try to offer many voluntary options at different levels to engage staff in PD

 Nice seque points - TOOLS! What online tools do you use/have you used that have proved effective?

 It is not about having or seeing a vision. It is about articulating it.

  we use it in meetings and model, as well as build swells of excitement

 For my opening faculty meeting I used some recent favorites, QR Codes, Poll Everywhere and glimmer at GDocs presentation

It's important to identify effective strategies used by teachers, then empower them to demonstrate/collab w/ others in building. 

I try and model technology every chance I get. This introduces technology and shows how it could be used in a classroom setting

 We should always model effective use. No admin should say "I am not a tech person." Malpractice for 21st century. 

  we use it in meetings and model, as well as build swells of excitement

 We have to show tech as a tool for instruction. Not instruct on how to use tech for tech sake.

  we used Prezi, wikis, scribble press, and kerpoof so far in meetings this year :)

I post QR Code on my office door and change it throughout year; last year I "caught" teachers discussing it. 

  I think we constantly have to expose but we can't expect them to do it all. I tell them pick two to start and become good

RT : I try and model technology every chance I get. No admin should say I am not a tech person  | Same page!

I used a Prezi for Teacher Eval Training this year and will be using Primary Pad in next meeting. 

I cannot expect teachers to learn new technology strategies if I refuse to learn them myself 

Love this idea! RT : QR Code on my office door and change it throughout year; I "caught" teachers discussing it.

  we also just started playing with the beta version of Powtoon

Right tool for right time! RT  we can't expect them to do it all. I tell them pick two to start and become good

  I have been impressed during our CC training how teachers are using tech to create. Seeing great momentum

I used a QR Code on my business card as we were learning them. There r a ton of possibilities as long as you are open to learning.

 We also have to be open to learning from students when it comes to tech. Awhile back I blogged: 

 It is not about having or seeing a vision. It is about articulating it.” modeling it, living it, Making vision reality

 New NC professional standards for teachers, tech and media will bring more people on board. Evaluation is a powerful thing.

Great discussion so far!  Q3: How do you encourage teachers to become experts/trainers/presenters?

One of my goals is for our teachers to spend more time in each other's classrooms, sharing Best Practices; Tech as a focus.

So true but so often missed! RT  I can't expect teachers to learn new tech strategies if I refuse to learn them myself.

Perfect! RT : One of my goals is for teachers to spend more time in each other's classrooms, sharing Best Practices.

A3: It starts with recognition, continues with providing opportunity to share in PLC model. 

A3.  By nurturing a culture of trust and risk-taking. We can't be afraid to try things and fail.

 A3: This year, our teachers will share a best practice/tech tool during collaborative meetings

 I agree w/ - Pick one or two and use them well...incorporate it into to daily lessons & share it w/ others.

  MACS admins have done a great job establishing this culture by trying new things, especially twitter

 good evening from Nebraska! A3 this year I have a technology corner where I share apps or websites in my weekly faculty letter.

A3.  Capacity building is key. Here's what we do at my school: 

 just hit on a great point about risk taking! How do u encourage teachers 2 take risks with showcasing and exploring tech?

 ask questions then give teachers time to talk & listen to one another 

A3  During PLCs we have teachers present a "tech 10" to their peers. 10 min overview of tech tool. Gives them controlled environment

RT  We have to show tech as a tool for instruction. Not instruct on how to use tech for tech sake. - This is KEY!! 

A3  Building that level of trust and support lead to bigger things and capacity building

  I think this idea of capacity building; teachers taking one another by the hand and learning together is the way to go.

 use the edcamp model for PD. No "training" just sharing.

 I find the tech-savvy teachers do this w/o being requested. 

  They do, but we don't want the others to defer to the normal "go-getters". We help each find a tool to present on.

 I think we are ready for the next  ! A great pd opportunity

 We also use the self-reflection tool in this post: See especially pages 13-15 on 21st century competencies.

 Keeping everyone accountable; CRUCIAL 

  use the edcamp model for PD. No "training" just sharing. " Yes!

Great thoughts so far!  Q4: Innov pd is a shift for a lot of people - How do you support 'stuck' participants?


 The TPACK model makes sense for all teachers. Get them during planning and provide support. 

 A4. Assisting our teachers in finding their way:

 Please share more about the TPACK model! 

 TPACK been around a long time. College of W & M made it easily applied. 

 A4 Creating shared norms that all will participate/commit to growing and hold each other accountable. Transparency is key.

 A4:Share a couple tools during a PLC w/ the expectation that all will return to the next mtng sharing how they incorporated 1 tool

 when I was with , we got permission to edit the documents to reflect NC standards. Can find them here:...

   Here is a tpack overview from 

A4: Strategically match up teachers in a mentor-mentee pair, w/ focus of instructional technology. 

  A4 [sub1] How tight do we hold the expectations that teachers will implement new tools from trainings?

And we're forgetting how beneficial student feedback can be!

 Yes, TPACK is great for helping those who are new or are resistant! Here is another resource for TPACK

    BTW, is a TPACK expert. She's not as knowledgeable about Tupac though. :)

This is one of my fave resources for teaching about TPACK:. Thanks  for sharing this resource.

 might want to replace we with students. Let students lead the charge 

TPACK without the activity types piece from College of William and Mary is worthless. teachers need application. 

Last 5 min, a pt from  - How firm do we make our expectations that teachers will implment new strategies? LastQ

: I post QR Code on my office door and change it throughout year; last year I "caught" teachers discussing it.” love!

 Set reasonable expectations but then "inspect what we expect." Otherwise pointless. 

  With this, a tight-loose relationship is key. Also, a lot could be learned from Dweck's Mindset and Pink's Drive.

 This year NCCS is structuring tech PD in 2-hr chunks: 1st hr for instruction, 2nd hr for guided application/creation.

 As I shared during last chat we are so firm in our belief that we made 4 tech trainings per teacher a requirement in our strat plan

I want to thank everyone for participating. Over the next few days, please share topic ideas with me and 

Thanks again  and  for facilitating. Looking forward to being here for the entire hour next time.

Thanks  and  for hosting tonight!

 Common Core sounds great for out next topic.






















































































No comments:

Post a Comment